Hi Treasure Friends,
We hope you had a great weekend. The most important news last week in the economy was the deceleration in the job market growth with the economy adding 150k job last month.
What the Treasure Team is reading
- Finance: Last week Fed meeting outcome Fed holds rates steady, upgrades assessment of economic growth
- Finance: From $0 to $47Bn and back to $0 WeWork plans to file for bankruptcy as early as next week, source says
- Finance: A big bug... Bank of America warns of banking industry deposit delays
- Finance: As an example of how the city created its housing crisis San Francisco Housing Crisis: Dirt Lot Selling for $13.5 Million
- Finance: A bull market in Government budget deficit Treasury to borrow $776 billion in the final three months of the year
- Finance: AI or not? Forget ChatGPT and Robo-Advisors — Recommendation Engines Are the Future of Wealth Management
- Tech: A moat of a feature? A minor ChatGPT update is a warning to founders: Big Tech can blow up your startup at any time
- Fintech: A new mean of payment Adyen and Plaid Partner on Pay-by-Bank Offering in North America
From the Treasure chest...
A good joke can offset bad earnings: Researcher from the London School of Economics have uncovered an interesting dynamic in public company earnings call. Using a sophisticated machine learning algorithm, researchers have identified managers’ successful uses of humor during public earnings conference calls. When managers use humor on an earnings call, stock market returns and analyst forecast revisions following the call are more positive, primarily because of a muted response to negative earnings news. Consistent with managers’ successful use of humor being a favorable signal of future firm performance, the researchers found no evidence of a return reversal over the subsequent quarter, and managers’ use of humor predicts more favorable news at the subsequent quarter’s earnings announcement. This study provides new evidence on the use of humor in corporate disclosures, and the findings indicate that humor can meaningfully influence the market response to public earnings conference calls..
Have a great week!
The Treasure Team
📥 Interested in receiving our curated headlines directly to your inbox every Monday? Don't miss out – subscribe to our newsletter: http://bit.ly/treasure-newsletter